Welcome to the Matrix

I've been thinking of starting a virtualization-focused (mostly VMware) blog for some time in order to share my experiences and lessons learned, so what better time than the present.  Today, I recertified myself as a VCP6.5-DCV certification holder (unofficially, of course, until VMware reviews my exam).  Word to the wise, don't let your VMware certification expire or you'll need to take another course to get another certification.  Only active certification holders can change a course requirement into a course recommendation.  My VCP6-DCV certification expires next week, so time was of the essence -- lesson learned.

I guess I should start with some sort of introduction about myself and why you would care to spend time reading what I write.  If not, at least I'll have a place I can reference to remember what I did to fix that one thing a couple years ago.  So, I'll start there... Hi, my name is John.  My experience with VMware started back in my military days in 2004 with GSX in a lab and took off rapidly from there designing and running large multi-datacenter enterprise environments.  I've only been lucky enough to attend VMworld twice as well as to meet Duncan Epping.  If you don't know who he is, I would definitely hop over to his blog, yellow-bricks.com, and check it out.

I prefer the Operations side of the house professionally, but I was a programmer first, so I love whenever I get to exercise that muscle.  VMware provides that opportunity often with PowerCLI, which is one thing I plan on sharing quite a bit of on this blog: PowerCLI scripts and one-liners.  I have amassed a rather large and diverse collection to help a VMware admin get back to watching movies (or whatever it is you like to do in your free time).

Another thing I'd like to share on this blog is the many bugs (and workarounds) I've run into over the years.  You see, I seem to have a talent for breaking things in just the right way.  Not unrecoverably, but inevitably I will sit down to do a seemingly simple task and will run into a problem that will usually turn out to be a "feature."  Because of this, nearly all of the support requests I've opened have ended up at VMware's Continuing Product Development team (CPD -- their bug fix team).  I like to look at it as I'm contributing to the quality of the product for everyone's benefit.  But, hey, VMware products are still, in my humble opinion, the best in their class -- and I've used a bunch of the "others."

So, enough about me, and more about virtualization.  Time to start writing the next post.  Something you'll (hopefully) find useful in your daily admining activities.  Until then, I wish you all well and don't forget to read the entire message before clicking Yes.

Popular posts from this blog

Palo Alto Breaks FQDN NAT's with PAN-OS 9.x

Backup the Synology Task Scheduler